Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Is it really my fault?

Why is it always my fault? Or is it really? I don’t know. With all the advice, research, opinions, ideas, and thoughts found in society, what’s a single mom to do? I am the mother to a wonderful, bright, and loving 13-year-old boy. I have raised him to know right from wrong and to choose right no matter the consequences. I have, also, taught him to do the hard stuff, first, so he can enjoy the good stuff later. Not only have I taught him these life lessons, I believe I have shown him these lessons through example. Anytime, though, my son makes a bad decision (lying, not doing his school work, disobedience, etc.), suddenly, it becomes my fault through some decision I made. Each time, I eliminate the bad decision to no avail. Through the criticism, either from family/friends, research, or counselors, I have acquired the dreaded guilt a mom carries when she believes she is not a very good mother. Yes, I am busy, but I do try to spend time with my son as much as possible, but considering he’s a teenager, he has less time for me. When  my son wants to spend time together, often, he wants to do things I can’t afford. For instance, I can’t afford to take him on a vacation. I can’t afford to spend $50.00 on going to the movie theater. I can’t afford $200 to go to a theme park. On days like today, when I find out about bad decisions my son has made, I find myself down and, somewhat, depressed about the [possible] bad decisions I am making to cause my son’s bad decisions. The only thing I know is I am doing the best I know how to do. I take great care of my son and have a desire to be the best parent I can be. I don’t know what the answer is, but I know I’m tired of hearing, over and over, the single mother can’t raise a boy or the single mother must be to be busy stories. When is it time to teach my son to accept responsibility for his actions? Maybe, I am doing something wrong. I don’t know, but should my son be responsible for his actions? Or should I/we continue to teach our teenagers to place blame somewhere else? And, when is it okay for me to sit back, in spite of my [possible] bad decisions and know I am a good mother just battling the pull of sin on my son? It’s hard to fight the pull of sin on my son’s life, when I sit here thinking I am the bad guy. Am I bad guy or is Satan the bad guy?

No comments:

Post a Comment